Tips for Weekend Warriors
Hey, weekend warriors, summer’s here! Time to hit the pool, hiking trail, or bike lane. Or maybe all three if you’re feeling ambitious. (After all, you’ve got three months.) After you’ve splurged on some new gear — go ahead, we’re betting those ratty old hiking boots are at the end of their useful life — what else do you need to reach your personal best? We’ve got suggestions. (We’re helpful like that.)
These tips are valuable for everyone, but especially for the more casual competitor. That’s because if you’re not a trained athlete, it can be easy to go overboard (trust us on this one) and end up sore and discouraged the next day. To keep exercise fun — and really, movement should be fun — remember the following:
- Hydrate:Your body is mostly water, and you lose water through sweat when you exercise (weirdly, even when you’re swimming). You gotta replace that precious liquid. Carry a water bottle with you and take frequent sips.
- Warm Up:Don’t try to go from zero to 60 right away. A brisk walk, some jumping jacks, or stretches will get your blood flowing and help your body prepare for more strenuous exercise later.
- Listen to Your Body:Pain is a signal that something is wrong. Don’t ignore it or you could end up with an injury that sidelines you.
- Recover:After you exercise, try using a foam roller or take a warm bath with Epsom salts. A little pampering will help your body recover and be ready to go at it again.
- Nourish:Your body needs to be well nourished for you to perform at the top of your game. Make sure you’re getting plenty of healthy fats, such as omega fatty acids, and chowing down on antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. Beets are a great vegetable for athletes because they promote nitric oxide (NO) production, which helps relax the blood vessels and improves circulation. Finally, nutrients like calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D help build strong bones and muscles to carry your body through a tough workout.
Flora’s got three products that can help weekend warriors stay well-nourished and ready to play all summer long:
- Omega Sport+ features a perfectly balanced blend of omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids. The omegas are paired with rapidly absorbed MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) for energy, turmeric to support joint health and provide antioxidants, and vitamin D for bone and muscle health.
- Our Red Beet Crystals are a work of technical genius. Vacuum dehydrated from the juice of freshly harvested beets, they dissolve instantly in water or other beverages. You can also sprinkle them dry on salad. Each jar contains the equivalent of 2.6 kgs of fresh beets!
- Bone Health+ is a liquid formula of the bone-friendly minerals calcium and magnesium in the perfect ratio of 2.5 to 1. It also provides vegan vitamin D3, which ensures you actually utilize all that calcium, plus trace minerals from the ocean and silicon from the horsetail herb. And to make taking your supplements enjoyable, Bone Health+ comes in a fruit juice base and can be taken straight or mixed into drinks or smoothies.
Have a fun and healthy summer, from all of us at Flora.
Right now, the code WEEKEND15 will save you 15% on Omega Sport+, Red Beet Crystals, and Bone Health+ at florahealth.com now through 6.20.22.