Ingredients:1 large jar (I use a 32 ounce mason jar)
2 13 ounce cans of full- fat coconut milk (Whole Foods 365 brand works the best–this is very important and not a tip that should be overlooked!)
4 probiotic capsules cheesecloth or paper towel a rubberband an oven time and patience
- Pour two cans of coconut milk into a very clean blender/vitamix until creamy and uniform in texture.
- Pour milk into jar, open and add 4 probiotic capsules
- Mix the probiotics into the milk with a wooden spoon (don’t use a metal bowl or spoon once the probiotics are introduced, it will affect the life of the probiotics).
- Cover the jar with cheesecloth, securing it with a rubber band.
- Set jar in oven (off) with light on for 48 hours (or on a windowsill indoors that gets some sun and warmth).
- After 48 hours, remove the jar and stir the yogurt.
- Place a lid on the jar and refrigerate overnight or for at least 12 hours.
If you need to use your oven in those 48 hours, it is OK to remove the yogurt for a while and replace it once the oven is back to normal room temperature. The longer you keep these coconut yogurts in the fridge, the tangier they get. They truly don’t even taste like coconut yogurt anymore they taste like real Greek style yogurt! If this isn’t your thing, I’d recommend perhaps adding less probiotics (2 instead of 4) or adding some honey or maple syrup post-fermentation to sweeten it up.