Perfect for picnics, potlucks, or cookouts, coleslaw is the perfect summer side dish. Coleslaw often contains refined sugar and mayonnaise, both of which have high fat and unhealthy oils. If you’re looking for a healthier coleslaw, or one that’s mayo-free, give this delicious Easy Healthy Coleslaw recipe a try.
In this recipe, we toss shredded cabbage, grated carrot and sliced scallions with a tangy and delicious dressing made with apple cider vinegar, lemon, dijon mustard and a touch of Mānuka honey. To blend everything together, we use nutty, buttery and healthy omega-3 rich Udo’s Oil.
Buy pre-prepared coleslaw mix and it can be ready in about 5 minutes.
Recipe: Healthy Tangy Mayo-Free Coleslaw
(Mayonnaise-free, dairy-free, gluten-free)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 6.5 cups
For the Slaw
- 4 cups cabbage, finely sliced or shredded (green, red, or a combination) *
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 3 scallions, finely sliced (about ⅓ cup)
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup Udo’s Oil 3·6·9 Blend
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Flora Mānuka Honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ** Salt the Cabbage (OPTIONAL): Place the shredded cabbage in a colander over a bowl. Toss with 2 teaspoons of salt and let sit for 1 hour. Drain the excess liquid and rinse off salt. Pat dry with paper towels or pop it in your salad spinner.
- Mix the Coleslaw Veggies: In a large bowl add the shredded/grated cabbage, grated carrot and sliced scallion. Set aside.
- *** Make the Dressing: Add all the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until completely smooth and blended. You can also pop them all in the blender.
- Mix it Up: Pour half of the dressing over the cabbage mix and toss until all the veggies are evenly dressed. Continue to add additional dressing until you are happy with the coverage.
- Serve and enjoy!
* To save time on prep time substitute the 4 cups of cabbage with (2) 16-ounce bags of store-bought coleslaw mix. Some mixes contain carrots while others don't.
** This step is optional, but it will help keep the coleslaw crunchy, and prevent it from getting watery and soggy after sitting. If you don’t plan on having leftovers, you can skip this step.
*** If you have any dressing leftover save it to toss with salad greens.
RECIPE, ARTICLE, AND PHOTO COURTESY OF BETTER LIVING. VISIT ONBETTERLIVING.COM FOR THE FULL ARTICLE AND MORE HELPFUL LIFESTYLE & DIY TIPS.