|Human, placebo controlled clinical trials have found significant benefits for KSM-66 Ashwagandha® in the following areas:
These studies typically lasted 8-12 weeks and for those in the ashwagandha group, they received 600 mg per day. Because stress can negatively impact our sleep quality, libido, and cognitive health, it makes sense that by smoothing out our stress responses, ashwagandha can help support our health in these other areas too.
- Stress and anxiety: 27.9% reduction in cortisol, 71.6-77% reduction in stress, depression and anxiety test scores1
- Testosterone and male sexual health: 167% increase in sperm count, 53% increase in semen volume, 57% increase in sperm motility, 17% increase in testosterone levels2
- Female sexual health: significant improvements in arousal, lubrication, orgasm and sexual satisfaction3
- Cardio Endurance: 5.7% increase in VO2 max and 9.5% increase in QoL (Quality of Life) measurements4
- Muscle strength and recovery: significant increases in muscle strength and size, decreases in exercise induced damage and 3.5% reduction in body fat and an 81% increase in testosterone levels compared to placebo5
- Stress and weight management: a 22% decrease in cortisol levels, 3% reduction in body weight, and significantly greater reductions than placebo on PSS (perceived stress scale) and FCQ (Food-Cravings Questionnaire-Trait) scores6
- Memory and cognition: significant improvements in working and general memory, executive function, sustained attention, and information processing speed based on a standard memory and cognition test7
- Thyroid health: supporting healthy thyroid function by increasing T3 levels by 41.5%, T4 levels by 19.6% and significantly decreasing serum thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism8
- Sleep quality: significant improvements in sleep quality, time to fall asleep, and in reducing nervousness9
- Chandrasekhar, K., et al. A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of Ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. Indian journal of psychological medicine, 34(3), 255, 2012.
- . Ambiye, V. R., et al. Clinical Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of the Root Extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in Oligospermic Males: A Pilot Study Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013.
- Dongre, S., et al. Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Improving Sexual Function in Women: A Pilot Study. BioMed research international, 2015.
- Choudhary, B., et al. Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal) in improving cardiorespiratory endurance in healthy athletic adults. Ayu, 36(1), 63, 2015.
- Wankhede, S., et al. Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 12(1), 43, 2015.
- Choudhary, D., et al. Body Weight Management in Adults Under Chronic Stress Through Treatment With Ashwagandha Root Extract: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Journal of evidence-based complementary & alternative medicine, 22(1), 96-106, 2017.
- Choudhary, D., et al. Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal) Root Extract in Improving Memory and Cognitive Functions Journal of Dietary Supplements, 1-14, 2017.
- Sharma, A. K., et al. Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha Root Extract in Subclinical Hypothyroid Patients: A Double-Blind, Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2017.
- Langade, D., et al. Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha ( Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Insomnia and Anxiety: A Double – blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled study. (2019). Cureus, 11(9), e5797, 2019.