Ingredients:1 cup walnuts
3 red bell peppers
¼ cup olive oil, plus more for rubbing on peppers
1 Tbsp sumac or lemon pepper S
alt and black pepper to taste
1 clove garlic or ¼ tsp garlic powder
1-2 Tbsp Red Beet Crystals
1 tsp red pepper flakes or fresh herbs
- Preheat broiler to 400°F.
- Rub red peppers with olive oil, place on a lined baking sheet, and broil in a hot oven. Char the peppers (20-30 minutes), flipping halfway through broiling time. Remove from oven. To remove the outer, charred skin from the peppers, make them sweat them for 10 minutes in a paper bag or covered bowl, then slide skin off. Pop off the stems and scoop out the seeds.
- Optional: Place 1 cup of raw walnuts in a hot, dry cast iron skillet on the stove top, stirring until toasted.
- Grind walnuts in a food processor with ¼ cup of olive oil until semi-smooth.
- Add sumac, garlic, salt, pepper, Red Beet Crystals, and red peppers. Process.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Optional: Add red pepper flakes (bonus points for using Aleppo pepper flakes) or fresh herbs.
Serve: Pack in “to-go” jars with veggies or serve as an accompaniment to pita chips or kababs.