Recipe & image: Lindsay Young, RHN, BSc Holistic Nutritionist@eatyoungnutrition Dairy-free, gluten-free
Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes: 1 cup of pestoIngredients
1 cup of fresh basil and sage, packed
6 cloves garlic
3 tbsp Flora’s Organic Sacha Inchi Oil
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds*
2 tbsp water Generous salt and pepper, adjust to taste
- Rinse and pack the fresh basil and sage into a food processor. Make sure all long stems are cut off. Feel free to alter the ratio of herbs here. I used about 2/3 cup basil and 1/3 cup sage.*
- Add garlic, sacha inchi oil, nutritional yeast, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds. Pulse for at least 2 minutes to combine. Scrape down the sides of your food processor to incorporate everything evenly.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing between each.
- Stop and taste. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper until the ideal taste is achieved.
- For a nut-free option, use sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts.
- Any herbs/greens will do! The more flavourful the herbs, the less salt and pepper you’ll need.
Use this savory pesto as a topping for freshly roasted root vegetables. Here, I’ve roasted butternut squash, carrots, beets, onions and brussels sprouts in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper, then added a spoonful of cooked spelt, black lentils and pesto sauce. The perfect veggie-rich side dish!