Recipe and image courtesy of Lindsay Young, @eatyoungnutrition
Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 small snack balls
20 pitted medjool dates
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup hemp hearts
¼ cup shredded coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp peanut butter
½ tsp ground ginger
1-2 tbsp hot water (if needed)
1-3 tbsp almond flour
1-2 scoops Gandalf Spirulina powder (about 2-4 tsp)
Toasted Coconut Topping:1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tsp coconut oil Pinch of sea salt
- In a food processor add the first seven ingredients and pulse until incorporated. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time if the mixture is too crumbly. This will depend on how soft or hard your dates are. Pulse until the mixture can be packed into a ball.
- Scoop the mixture into a medium sized bowl and add almond flour until it is no longer sticky to hold. At this point, add Spirulina powder to achieve a beautiful green color.
- Roll into balls the size of a heaping tablespoon. Refrigerate while you prepare the toasted coconut topping.
- To prepare the topping, add coconut oil to a skillet over medium heat, followed by coconut, coconut sugar and sea salt. Keep tossing the coconut in the pan while it cooks, careful not to let it burn. The topping is finished cooking when it begins to brown.
- Remove from heat immediately and scoop onto a plate. Let the topping cool for five minutes before rolling emerald balls to coat. Serve!
- These also keep well in the refrigerator for one week.