Minestrone Rainbow Soup and Flax Bread
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Medium yellow onion
1 lb boneless skinless chicken or a rotisserie chicken
2 cloves garlic
1 (14 oz) jar crushed or diced tomatoes
8 cups chicken stock
Veggies (see below)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Pesto or Clean green super sauce, to taste
Italian herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, sage), to taste
- Sauté the onion in olive oil about 1 minute on medium heat. Add the chicken and garlic. If chicken is raw, cook 6-7 minutes on medium-high.
- Add non-leafy veggies one at a time, from hardest to softest, sautéing for 1 minute in between each addition. Add tomatoes, stock, and any dry herbs, then reduce to medium-low for 20-30 minutes.
- Blend half the beans with some pesto and water and add to the pot with the remaining beans. Adjust with additional water if needed. Simmer 5 minutes more.
- Stir in leafy greens and fresh herbs. Taste (watch your tongue!) and season with salt and pepper. When kale is still bright, but wilted, remove from heat. Serve with more pesto and optional flax bread
- Veggies Suggestions: turnip 1 small, cubed • carrots 2 medium, peeled and sliced • purple cabbage ½ small, chopped • green beans 8 oz, ends trimmed, halved • medium zucchini, chopped • beans (black, white or red) 8 oz, cooked/canned • kale bunch, leaves only, chopped • fresh basil* bunch, chopped • fresh parsley bunch, chopped. The veggies here are seasonal and appropriate for a warming cleanse; you could also use brussel sprouts, chard, and/or leek. In spring/summer, switch it up with more cooling asparagus, peas, and/or broccoli.
125 ml / 4.25 oz comfortably warm water – 105-110°F
2 teaspoons syrup of choice (brown rice/maple)
1 package / 2 tsp active dry yeast
200 g / 7 oz Flora Flax
- ground fine for a fine crumb sandwich bread, or coarse for focaccia-style
28 g / 1 oz Organic Psyllium Husks
14 g / ½ oz whey protein powder
5 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
Pinch ground ginger (optional)
2 eggs at room temperature, separated
2 egg whites at room temperature
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
60 g / ½ cup olive oil, pumpkin oil
, or sacha inchi oil
, or butter
57 g / 2oz sour cream or coconut cream
- Gather ingredients. Make sure that everything is at room temperature.
- Line a loaf pan (8.5” x 4.5”) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix your powders in a medium bowl. Add ground flaxseed, psyllium, protein powder, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar and ginger and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Put water in a large bowl. Check temperature and stir in syrup. Add yeast. Cover bowl.
- Mix together the egg yolks, vinegar and oil. Mix egg whites in a separate bowl with an electric mixer for a couple minutes until frothy, then fold in to wet ingredients.
- Once your yeast has bubbled, add the egg ingredients to the yeast. Add in half the powders, mix, then the cream, and mix again, and finally the other half of the dry mixture, until everything is combined.
- Transfer dough to pan. Place in a warm draft-free space (not the oven) and cover with a kitchen towel. Wait one hour or until dough rises over the rim*. This depends on the altitude, temperature and humidity - so peek at it every 15 minutes or so. *(If you use a large loaf pan it won't rise past the rim.)
- While the dough is proofing preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. At high altitude, bake at 375°F/190°C.
- Place the loaf pan gently into the oven. Bake for 45-55 minutes until it browns.
- Rest the bread in the loaf pan for 5 minutes, then tip onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely for best texture.