Whole Food Baobab Bars
Plant-based, sweetened with dates, whole food ingredients only
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Flora Baobites
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing the ground flax seed with 6 tbsp (90 mL) of water. Let sit for 5 minutes to gel up.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line or oil a 9x13" (18x27 cm) baking pan.
- In a high-speed food processor, blend the almonds, rolled oats, salt, turmeric, and cinnamon until finely ground. Add to a large bowl, then add steel cut oats.
- In the food processor again, add the pitted dates and blend until they clump up. This may be difficult unless you have a powerful food processor, so don’t worry if they aren’t perfectly smooth. Add the coconut oil, tahini, almond butter, flax eggs, and vanilla extract and blend until well combined. This mixture should be smooth and sticky.
- Pour this sticky mixture into the dry ingredients and mix. Gently fold in the pumpkin seeds, Baobites, and chocolate.
- Press the mixture into the baking pan, and bake until lightly golden, about 16-20 minutes. Cut into 10 bars and let cool before removing from the pan. If the bars don’t come off the bottom of the dish easily, bake for another 2-5 minutes.
Lindsey Young is a registered holistic nutritionist, advocate for intuitive eating, and functional food recipe creator. For the original hot cacao post and more delicious recipes, follow her on Instagram @eatyoungnutrition and visit EatYoungNutrition.com.