- No-bake superfood treat
- Nutrient and energy dense, healthy calories
- 100% plant-based (vegan)
- High in fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants
- High in vitamins and minerals
- Free of gluten, wheat, corn, grain, peanuts, and nuts
- 8” x 8” or 9” x 9” dish, lined with parchment or waxed paper
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Medium bowl
- Double boiler (a bowl over a pot of hot water or microwave would also work)
- Food scale
- Food processor or blender (optional but recommended)
- 250 g finely shredded unsweetened dried coconut
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted, chopped (finely chopped if mixing by hand)
- 50 g coconut flour (weighed or very lightly scooped)
- 250 g coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted and still warm
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 10 gGandalf spirulina powder (2 scoops)
- 2 teaspoons peppermint flavour
- 80 g dark chocolate chips (we used 77% cacao semi-sweet, melted)
- Cover the all the shredded coconut in water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain the coconut of the excess liquid and squeeze if necessary.
- Combine half the soaked coconut (125 g before soaking), the Medjool dates, 10 g coconut flour, 150 g coconut sugar, 6 tablespoons melted coconut oil, vanilla extract in the bowl of a food processor or blender and pulse. You can also just chop the dates finely and mix everything by hand. You may add a pinch of salt if you like.
- To form the bottom layer, use a spatula to spread this mixture evenly on the bottom of a lined dish.
- To make the mint layer, mix the other half of the coconut,Gandalf spirulina powder, peppermint extract, 100 g coconut sugar, 10 g coconut flour in a bowl or the same food processor bowl. Taste as you go to check the strength of the mint flavour and the sweetness.
- Scoop the mint mixture onto the previous layer and spread evenly.
- Melt 80 g chocolate, pour over and spread. For a shiny smooth finish, be sure to keep the chocolate dry and melt it fully without overheating.
- Refrigerate and allow the bars to become firm before cutting into 16 squares.